American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Do-Nothing





Doc Watson: Life Is Like A River




Doc Watson: Walk On Boy





I wanted to get me a full pack complete with everything necessary to sleep, shelter, eat, cook, in fact a regular kitchen and bedroom right on my back, and go off somewhere and find perfect solitude and look into the perfect emptiness of my mind and be completely neutral from any and all ideas. I intended to pray, too, as my only activity, pray for all living creatures;
I saw it was the only decent activity left in the world. To be in some river bottom somewhere, or in a desert, or in mountains, or in some hut in Mexico, or shack in Adirondack, and rest and be kind, and do nothing else, practice what the Chinese call do-nothing.
--Jack Kerouac
The Dharma Bums

Powered by Blogger