American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Was In Such Bliss, My Brothers






Beethoven: Piano Trio No. 4...Gervase de Peyer (clarinet)
Jacqueline du Pré (cello) / Daniel Barenboim (piano)









Oh it was gorgeousness
and gorgeosity made flesh.
The trombones crunched
redgold under my bed,
and behind my gulliver
the trumpets three-wise
silverflamed, and there
by the door the timps
rolling through my guts
and out again
crunched like candy thunder.
Oh, it was wonder of wonders.
And then, a bird of like
rarest spun heavenmetal,
or like silvery wine
flowing in a spaceship,
gravity all nonsense now,
came the violin solo
above all the other strings,
and those strings were like
a cage of silk round my bed.
Then flute and oboe bored,
like worms of like platinum,
into the thick thick toffee
gold and silver.
I was in such bliss,
my brothers.
--Anthony Burgess
A Clockwork Orange

Powered by Blogger