American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Saturday, November 08, 2014

The Day After Never


Bruckner: Symphony No. 8



Bruckner: Symphony No. 9


When the air is thick
and the sky overcast,
we need not walk so far.
We give our attention
to nearer objects,
being less distracted
from them.
I take occasion
to explore some near wood
which my walks
commonly overshoot.
What a difference it makes
between two ravines
in other respects
exactly similar
that in the one there is
a stream which drains it,
while the other is dry!
I see nowadays in various places the scattered feathers of robins, etc., where some hawk or beast of prey has torn them to pieces.
I step over the slip-noose which some woodling has just set.
How long since men set snares for partridges and rabbits?
Ah, my friends, I know you better than you think, and love you better, too. The day after never, we will have an explanation.
--Henry David Thoreau
journal entry for November 8, 1857


DUSTY SLIDES FROM THE NORCAL ERA

Powered by Blogger