American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Friday, April 12, 2024

I Would Still Be On My Feet


NASA: Candor Chasma animation



Like most others,
I was a seeker,
a mover, a malcontent,
and at times
a stupid hell-raiser.
I was never idle
long enough to do
much thinking,
but I felt somehow
that some of us
were making
real progress,
that we had taken
an honest road,
and that the best of us
would inevitably
make it over the top.

At the same time,
I shared a dark suspicion
that the life
we were leading
was a lost cause,
that we were all actors,
kidding ourselves along
on a senseless odyssey.
It was the tension
between these two poles---
a restless idealism
on one hand and
a sense of impending doom
on the other---
that kept me going.

--Hunter S. Thompson
The Rum Diary


Joni Mitchell: A Case of You...4/22/74


WHEELER POINT / DARWIN PLATEAU
POWELL PLATEAU FROM OUTSIDE GARNET CANYON (2)
MOUNT HUETHAWALI FROM HAVASUPAI POINT

Powered by Blogger