American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Thursday, May 03, 2018

There Ain't Nobody Knows


Emmylou Harris: Pancho and Lefty **



Steve Earle: **




We know what the law is,
Mister Po-leess-maan.
The law is the land.
You say, This is my land,
but you did not make the land.
You did not make your sheep,
you did not make the rabbits
on which we live,
you did not make the cows,
or the horses, but you say,
These things are mine.
This cannot be a truth.
I make my axe, my pots,
and these are mine.
What I wear is mine.
Some love was mine.
Now it has gone.
I think you are a good man,
Mister Po-leess-maan,
but we see the turning of the times.
Maybe a hundred or two hundred years ago
there was in the world what people called the wilderness,
or no man's land, or wasteland,
and we lived in such places, we are waste people.
There was the troll race, the dwarf race, the human race,
and I am sorry for the goblin race
that we cannot run so fast.
--Terry Pratchett


Gillian Welch / David Rawlings: 9/27/97**


Powered by Blogger