American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Monday, March 20, 2017

But The Season Is Advancing


The first stars tremble as if shimmering in green water. Hours must pass before their glimmer hardens into the frozen glitter of diamonds. I shall have a long wait before I witness the soundless frolic of the shooting stars. In the profound darkness of certain nights I have seen the sky streaked with so many trailing sparks that it seemed to me a great gale must be blowing through the outer heavens. **


When I opened my eyes
I saw nothing but
the pool of nocturnal sky,
for I was lying on my back
with outstretched arms,
face to face with
that hatchery of stars.
Only half awake,
still unaware that
those depths were sky,
having no roof between
those depths and me,
no branches to screen them,
no root to cling to,
I was seized with vertigo
and felt myself
as if flung forth
and plunging downward
like a diver. **


WAVELIGHT from Sunchaser Pictures on Vimeo.





He is
not admiring
the colors
of the earth
and sky,
the marks
of the wind
on the sea,
the gilded clouds
of twilight;
they are
the objects
of his meditation. **


I know that mood. Three years of the desert taught it to me.
Something in one’s heart takes fright, not at the thought of growing old, not at feeling one’s youth used up in this mineral universe, but at the thought that far away the whole world is aging. The trees have brought forth their fruit; the grain has ripened in the fields; the women have bloomed in their loveliness. But the season is advancing and one must make haste; but the season is advancing and still one cannot leave; but the season is advancing ... and other men will glean the harvest.

--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Wind, Sand and Stars **

Powered by Blogger