American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Sunday, March 23, 2014

How Could It Be In Springtime?


Robert Goulet: If Ever I Would Leave You


\
Aretha Franklin: If Ever I Would Leave You




if ever I would leave you
it wouldn't be in summer
seeing you in summer
I never would go
your hair streaked
with sunlight
your lips red as flame
your face with a lustre
that puts gold to shame

but if I'd ever leave you
it couldn't be in autumn
how I'd leave in autumn
I never would know
I've seen how you sparkle
when fall nips the air
I know you in autumn
and I must be there
and could I leave you
running merrily
through the snow
or on a wintry evening
when you catch
the fire's glow?

if ever I would leave you
how could it be
in springtime?
knowing how in spring
I'm bewitched by you so
oh, no, not in springtime
summer, winter, or fall
no, never could I leave you at all

--Alan Lerner / Frederick Lowe




Sonny Rollins / Jim Hall: If Ever I Would Leave You


Powered by Blogger