American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The Almost Unhearable Sound Of The Roses Singing



THE FIRST BLOOM HAS OPENED ON THUMPER'S ROSEBUSH



Ordinarily,
I go to
the woods alone,
with not
a single friend,
for they are all
smilers and talkers
and therefore
unsuitable.

I don’t really
want to be witnessed
talking to the catbirds
or hugging
the old black oak tree.
I have my way
of praying,
as you no doubt
have yours.

Besides,
when I am alone
I can become invisible.
I can sit
on the top of a dune
as motionless
as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes
run by unconcerned.
I can hear the almost
unhearable sound
of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone
to the woods with me,
I must love
you very much.

--Mary Oliver
How I Go to the Woods

LOS GATOS LOCOS (THUMPER AND 007) FROM DAYS OF YORE

Powered by Blogger