American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Light Which Lives On What The Flames Devour

PIKE'S PEAK *
A STORM IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS *
SUNRISE, YOSEMITE VALLEY *
Boccherini: Cello Concertos **


A light which lives on what the flames devour,
a grey landscape surrounding me with scorch,
a crucifixion by a single wound,
a sky and earth that darken by each hour,
a sob of blood whose red ribbon adorns
a lyre without a pulse, and oils the torch,
a tide which stuns and strands me on the reef,
a scorpion scrambling, stinging in my chest--
this is the wreath of love, this bed of thorns
is where I dream of you stealing my rest,
haunting these sunken ribs cargoed with grief.
I sought the peak of prudence, but I found
the hemlock-brimming valley of your heart,
and my own thirst for bitter truth and art.
--Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca
Stigmata of Love

SKETCH *


* ALL PAINTINGS BY ALBERT BIERSTADT



** AMONG THE SIERRA NEVADA MOUNTAINS

Powered by Blogger