American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Sunday, June 05, 2011

The Tail Of The Dragon



señor, señor,
can you tell me
where we’re heading?
Lincoln County Road
or Armageddon?
seems like i been
down this way before
is there any
truth in that, señor?

señor, señor,
do you know
where she's hiding?
how long are
we gonna be riding?
how long must i keep
my eyes glued to the door?
will there be
any comfort there, señor?

there’s a wicked wind
still blowing
on that upper deck
there’s an iron cross
still hanging down
from around her neck
there’s a marching band
still playing
in that vacant lot
where she held me
in her arms one time
and said, “forget me not”

señor, señor,
i can see
that painted wagon
i can smell
the tail of the dragon
can’t stand
the suspense anymore
can you tell me
who to contact here, señor?

well, the last thing
i remember before
i stripped and kneeled
was that trainload of fools
bogged down
in a magnetic field
a gypsy with a broken flag
and a flashing ring
said, “son, this ain’t
a dream no more
it’s the real thing”

señor, señor,
you know their hearts
are as hard as leather
give me a minute
let me get it together
i just gotta pick myself
up off the floor
i’m ready when you are, señor

señor, señor,
let’s disconnect
these cables
overturn these tables
this place don’t
make sense to me no more
can you tell me
what we’re waiting for, señor?

--bob dylan


Tim O'Brien
Berkeley, Ca.
5/28/11

Powered by Blogger