American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Thursday, March 24, 2011

In Between It May Go Straight Down





My boat was finally washed to shore after drifting for several days, and I was delirious from exposure and lack of food or water. I was discovered by a wandering tribe of Bozos who later told me that I had been heard to repeat "On the left hand it goes North and on the right hand South" continually while they nursed me back to health which took some weeks.
When I returned to my senses,
I found all the Bozos of the tribe wandering about repeating "On the left hand it goes North and on the right hand South" over and over and looking rather blissful. Anxious not to mislead them (for at the time I didn't know this was an impossibility) I immediately informed them that "in between it may go straight down". No sooner had the words left my mouth than they all prostrated themselves before me, desiring me to become their king. Refusing this post, they immediately elected me a saint and began pressing me for teachings which would elucidate the notion which they found so marvelous and accepted the true story as an elaborately cloaked metaphor, of which judgement nothing would dissuade them.
--Robert Hunter (from "St. Dilbert and the Plumber")
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hance Canyon
some Grateful Dead space from Berkeley 8/14/71
redwall reflecting in Phantom Creek

Powered by Blogger