American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Plying By Turns My Partnership Of Legs


Chorus: O suitably attired
in leather boots
head of a traveller,
wherefore seeking whom
whence by what way
how purposed art thou
come to this
well-nightingaled vicinity?
My object in inquiring
is to know,
but if you happen to
be deaf and dumb
and do not understand
a word I say,
nod with your hand
to signify as much.
Alcmaeon: I journeyed
hither a Boeotian road.
Chorus: Sailing on horseback or with feet for oars?
Alcmaeon: Plying by turns my partnership of legs.
Chorus: Beneath a shining or a rainy Zeus?
Alcmaeon: Mud's sister, not himself, adorns my shoes.
Chorus: To learn your name would not displease me much.
Alcmaeon: Not all that men desire do they attain.
--A.E. Housman
Fragment of a Greek Tragedy
----------------------------------------------
Mt. Huethawali and Grand Scenic Divide from Havasupai Pt. (top)
inner gorge from outside Cremation Canyon (middle)
Holy Grail Temple from outside Copper Canyon (below)

----------------------------------------------
spotted nightingale-thrush
orange-billed nightingale-thrush
Yavapai Point webcam

Powered by Blogger