American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Prisoners Of The Sand (4)





fourth of six

I have nothing to complain of. For three days I have tramped the desert, have known the pangs of thirst, have followed false scents in the sand, have pinned my faith on the dew. I have struggled to rejoin my kind, whose very existence on earth I had forgotten. These are the cares of men alive in every fibre, and I cannot help thinking them more important than the fretful choosing of a nightclub in which to spend the evening. Compare the one life with the other, and all things considered this is luxury! I have no regrets. I have gambled and lost. It was all in the day's work. At least I have had the unforgettable taste of the sea on my lips.
I am not talking about living dangerously. Such words are meaningless to me. The toreador does not stir me to enthusiasm. It is not danger I love. I know what I love. It is life.
The sky seemed to me faintly bright. I drew up one arm through the sand. There was a bit of the torn parachute within reach, and I ran my hand over it. It was bone-dry. Let's see: Dew falls at dawn. Here was dawn risen and no moisture on the cloth. My mind was befuddled and I heard myself say: "There is a dry heart here, a dry heart that cannot know the relief of tears."
I scrambled to my feet. "We're off, Prevot," I said. "Our throats are open. Get along, man!"
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (from "Wind, Stars and Sand")

Royal Arch Canyon (top)
Brahma and Zoroaster Temple (middle)
outside Escalante Canyon (below)

Powered by Blogger