American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

From The Great Deep To The Great Deep He Goes




Rain, rain, and sun! a rainbow in the sky!
A young man will be wiser by and by;
An old man's wit may wander ere he die.
Rain, rain, and sun! a rainbow on the lea!
And truth is this to me, and that to thee;
And truth or clothed or naked let it be.
Rain, sun, and rain! and the free blossom blows:
Sun, rain, and sun! and where is he who knows?
From the great deep to the great deep he goes.

Blasted and burnt, and blinded as I was,
With such a fierceness that I swooned away--
O, yet methought I saw the Holy Grail,
All palled in crimson samite, and around
Great angels, awful shapes, and wings and eyes.
And but for all my madness and my sin,
And then my swooning, I had sworn I saw
That which I saw; but what I saw was veiled
And covered; and this Quest was not for me.

--Alfred Tennyson (two excerpts from "The Idylls of the King")

rainbow near Unkar Rapid (top)
from behind Lower Ribbon Falls (middle)
Hermit Trail rainbow with pilgrim (below)

Powered by Blogger