American Idyll

yes, the river knows

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

You Must Not Ask For So Much


Leonard Cohen: Bird on a Wire **



Judy Collins: **



the two bird gifs below are by head like an orange



like a bird on the wire
like a drunk
in a midnight choir
i have tried in my way
to be free
like a worm on a hook
like a knight from
some old-fashioned book
i have saved
all my ribbons for thee
if i, if i have been unkind
i hope that you can
just let it go by
if i, if i have been untrue
i hope you know
it was never to you
for like a baby, stillborn
like a beast with his horn
i have torn everyone
who reached out for me


but i swear by this song
and by all that
i have done wrong
i will make it all up to thee
i saw a beggar
leaning on his wooden crutch
he said to me,
you must not ask for so much
and a pretty woman
leaning in her darkened door
she cried to me,
hey, why not ask for more?
like a bird on the wire
like a drunk
in a midnight choir
i have tried in my way
to be free

--leonard cohen




AND THE VEIL IS HIDDEN BEHIND A VEIL
DO NOT SAY THE MOMENT WAS IMAGINED
INTO THIS FURNACE I ASK YOU NOW TO VENTURE

Powered by Blogger